In this article, you'll learn how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) which provides higher security for your user account.
Multi-factor authentication is a method of verifying who you are that requires the use of more than just a username and password. With MFA, you sign in with your password as well as a code sent to your mobile phone.
Before you begin
- Download and install an authenticator application to your mobile phone. Some popular ones include Authy, Google, and Microsoft, but there are many similar apps and you can use any one you want.
- Examples: Apps like Microsoft Authenticator (top) and Googles Authenticator (bottom) provide codes needed for the MFA process
- If the authenticator app cannot locate a QR code scanner app on your mobile device, you might be prompted to download and install one. Go to the app store for your device, search for “QR code scanner,” choose an app, and install it.
Setting up MFA
- Click on your name in the top-right corner of any screen and then select Edit Profile from the drop-down menu.
- Under MFA Settings, click Enable MFA.
- Open the authenticator application you installed above and scan the QR code that is displayed in the Enable MFA dialog box.
Alternatively, you can use the manual configuration option by clicking on Show secret key for manual configuration and then entering the secret key in the authenticator application.
- In the Verify MFA Code box, enter the MFA code from the authenticator application to verify the pairing and then click Enable.
After you set up your MFA, you are returned to the Edit Profile screen where you can generate a recovery code. Store your recovery code in a safe place such as an encrypted notes app. If you lose your phone, you can use this code to sign into your account and reset your MFA settings.
You can regenerate this code at any time. If you choose to regenerate, the previous code will be invalidated.
If there are any problems performing these instructions, try the steps below:
- Check that the phone’s time is synced with internet time.
- Try the manual configuration (secret key) option instead of the QR code.
- Reboot the phone.